Sunday 8 December 2013

Tomato And Basil Bruschetta


I love tomato bruschetta. I wish it were me who invented it. Such a simple combination, but so full of flavour! Each time I go to an Italian restaurant and it's on the menu, I'm tempted to order it for starter. They don't necessarily meet my expectations, though. Maybe it's because I know how to make it and that it's not difficult at all to get it right. Here's the way I like it most. 

(This is a simplified version of a recipe from BBC Good Food)



Ingredients

5-6 ripe vine tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
6-8 fresh basil leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 baguette or Italian bread (I used ciabatta loaf)
olive oil spray


Instructions

1. Prepare the tomatoes. I prefer my tomatoes peeled. To peel a tomato easily, scald them. Fill a tall dish with boiling water. Drop tomatoes into boiling water and keep for about 30 seconds up to one minute. Remove tomatoes and place in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. Using a sharp small knife, remove the skins. Cut the tomatoes in quarters and remove the seeds from their centres.
2. Chop the tomatoes finely. 
3. Place the tomatoes, garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil and vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Slice the baguette or a bread loaf diagonally and toast in the hot oven or on a griddle pan, until the bread begins to turn golden brown.
5. Place the bread on a serving plate. Spray one side (top one) with olive oil. Arrange the tomato topping on each slice and serve. You can sprinkle with some more black pepper if you like.



No comments:

Post a Comment